Forget about the very predictable honeymoon hotspots, new lovebirds! Let’s be true, the Taj Mahal is definitely the most stunning, but it’s also bursting with loads of selfies, vacation reels and tour groups. You as a newlywed deserve something different, and unique. It should be something that actually whispers “Just married, don’t disturb” without those aunties judging your PDA(public display of affection) from the sidelines. It is time to think wisely, ditch the crowds and dive into the heart of incredible India.
Let’s check some Undiscovered Honeymoon Destinations in India
1. Meghalaya: Where Fairytales Meet Adventure
Fall in love with the hills covered in emerald green, beautiful cascading waterfalls, and the very ancient living root bridges woven from the wonder of nature’s magic. Meghalaya which is nestled in the northeast seems straight out of a fairytale which makes it a perfect destination for lovebirds who seek adventure and serenity. Indulge in trekking hand-in-hand through the Mawlynnong village, (the cleanest village in Asia), breathing in the crisp fresh mountain air and soaking into the breathtaking views. Also, Take a fun boat ride on the serene Shillong Lake where the glassy surface reflects the love in your eyes. Get lost in the misty beauty of the Mawsynram caves while you whisper secrets into those echoing darkness. Also, try spelunking in the Nokaliknai caves and rappelling down the Umshyrpi Falls.
2. The Rann of Kutch: Where the Desert Blooms with Love
Have you ever dreamt of white salt flats stretched as far as the eye can see? Then The Rann of Kutch in Gujarat is a Hidden Gem Honeymoon Spot in India. Here the Milky Way reflects in the mirrored surface with the sky ablaze with a million stars. The Rann of Kutch in Gujarat is the best honeymoon destination for romantic souls looking for something truly unique. Take a camel ride hand-in-hand through the desert, watch the sunset painted the sky in fiery hues, and spend cosy nights in a sustainable traditional bunga, listening to local folk music under the stars. You can also attend the Rann Utsav, a vibrant festival that celebrates the unique culture of this region, and get lost in the mesmerising riot of colours, music, and dance. Don’t plan for the Rann during the monsoon as it turns into a surreal wetland.
3. Spiti Valley: Where the Moon Touches the Himalayas
Adventure junkies and nature lovers? Spiti Valley in the Himalayas can be your ultimate honeymoon destination. Enjoy the breathtaking landscapes, raw nature beauty, and a hint of challenge. Ride together on the world’s highest motorable road, and feel the wind and the vastness of the Himalayas. Do Camping under the star-studded sky, whispering sweet things as shooting stars streak across the Milky Way. Go hiking hand-in-hand through the Kibber Wildlife Sanctuary, spot snow leopards and ibex, and immerse in the Tibetan culture at the Thiksey Monastery. Disclaimer Be warned Spiti is not for the ones with faint hearts, it’s a honeymoon that can leave you breathless at those altitudes!
4. Ziro Valley: Music, Mountains, and Magic
If you’re a music lover & nature enthusiast newlywed then Ziro Valley in Arunachal Pradesh is gonna be your dream honeymoon destination. Stay in cosy homestays nestled into the rolling rice fields, the fresh air filled with the melodies of folk music, and the soothing aroma of local delicacies through the air. Don’t forget to Attend the Ziro Festival of Music which is definitely a melting pot of indie music and local culture. Sway into the rhythm with a loved one in your arms. You can also Trek through the lush green hills, to discover some hidden waterfalls and ancient tribal villages. Visit the Talley Valley Wildlife Sanctuary which is home to exotic birds and even the red panda to create memories that will forever be cherished.
5. Coorg: Coffee, Hills, and Bliss
We have a special honeymoon destination for coffee lovers and nature enthusiasts! Coorg in Karnataka is known for its green hills, lush plantations, and the aroma of freshly brewed coffee. Choose a charming homestay nestled in the middle of coffee estates, and wake up to the chirping of birds and also the distant call of the mountain koel. Go for a leisurely walk hand-in-hand through the coffee plantations, and learn more about the art of coffee making from the local experts, while you can also indulge in cupping sessions to tantalize your taste buds. Take a Hike to the beautiful Abbey Falls and also visit the Dubare Elephant Camp learning about these gentle giants to create memories.
More things to try at these Honeymoon Destinations in India
- Meghalaya: caving in the Nokaliknai caves or zorbing on the Umiam Lake.
- Spiti Valley: mountain biking or river rafting.
- Coorg: ziplining through coffee plantations
Unwind & Relax
- Ziro Valley: traditional spa treatments with local herbs and spices.
- Hampi: yoga retreats for inner peace and mindfulness.
- Munnar: Ayurveda centres for rejuvenating massages and therapies. [READ: Top Places for Destination Weddings in India]
- Meghalaya: Jadoh (pork with rice) and Doh Khleh (steamed chicken).
- Ziro Valley: Apong (fermented rice drink) and Thukpa (noodle soup).
- Spiti Valley’s: Thenthuk (noodle soup)
- Coorg: Pandi Curry (pork dish) and filter coffee.
- Rann of Kutch: Traditional bhungas made from sustainable materials.
Nearby Offbeat Experiences
- Nagaland: Hornbill Festival
- Kerela: Theyyam performances
- Pushkar: Camel Fair in Rajasthan
- Hampi: Learn pottery
- Meghalaya: Weaving
Some Additional Tips:
- Consider the season as some destinations can have specific seasons for the best weather and their activities.
- Research all necessary permits, clothing, and cultural sensitivities.
- Choose versatile clothing. Add up layers to adapt to different climates.
- If possible ditch the devices and focus on some quality time with your partner.
Your honeymoon is all about creating amazing memories that you both can cherish throughout your life. So, ditch the crowds, embrace something unique, and plan your honeymoon to any of these offbeat destination with your love in India. it is important to relax, have fun, and let your love story unfold in one of these heart of India’s hidden gems!