Living with diabetes is a constant balancing act. It requires careful monitoring of blood glucose levels, making dietary choices, taking medications, and maintaining an active lifestyle. One crucial aspect is making informed decisions on the basis of your glucose data. In this article, I will share my personal experiences with Continuous Glucose Monitoring device data, including Time in Range (TIR) and how it has helped me manage my diabetes more effectively.
Understanding Time in Range:
Time in Range (TIR) refers to the measure of time a person’s blood glucose levels remain within a target range.
Your doctor will tell you about your optimal glucose range. It is typically between 70 to 180 mg/dL (3.9 to 10 mmol/L). FreeStyle Libre automatically calculates the percentage of time you spend in, above and below the target range.
Every extra hour in range has a positive impact on your glucose control, and every 10% increase in TIR can lower A1c by ~0.8%. Moreover, spending more TIR can reduce long-term health complications.
Benefits of Embracing Time in Range:
1. Enhanced Diabetes Management
Time in Range along with other data that a CGM device provides, gives a comprehensive view of glucose control, allowing for more accurate assessment and management of diabetes. Individuals can identify patterns, understand the impact of lifestyle choices, and make necessary adjustments to their treatment plans.
2. Reduced Risk of Complications
Maintaining blood glucose levels within a target range for an extended period can help reduce the risk of both short-term and long-term complications associated with diabetes. It minimizes the chances of hyperglycemia-related emergencies and diabetes related health issues.
3. Personalized Approach
Each person’s diabetes journey is unique. Data from a CGM device empowers individuals to personalize their diabetes management based on their specific needs and goals. It provides a framework that allows for flexibility while still maintaining glycemic control.
4. Psychological Well-being
Diabetes management can take a toll on mental and emotional well-being. The focus on overall glucose control encourages a more holistic approach, emphasizing progress and trends rather than fixating on isolated high or low blood glucose readings. This shift in perspective can alleviate stress and anxiety related to diabetes management.
Effective Diabetes Management:
To empower yourself through effective diabetes management, several steps can be taken:
1. Continuous Glucose Monitoring (CGM): CGM devices provide glucose readings by scanning the sensor, allowing individuals to track their glucose levels without any pricks. This data can be used to calculate Time in Range and identify trends to optimize diabetes management.
2. Collaborating with Healthcare Professionals: Discussing your glucose control goals and strategies with healthcare providers can help tailor diabetes management plans to individual needs. Healthcare professionals can offer guidance on setting realistic targets and making necessary adjustments to insulin therapy, medications, and lifestyle choices.
3. Utilizing Technology: Diabetes management tools, such as insulin pumps, smart insulin pens, and diabetes apps, can help track glucose levels, and provide insights into glucose patterns and trends. Leveraging technology can simplify the process of monitoring and analyzing data, making it easier to implement changes in diabetes management routines.
4. Tracking and Analyzing Data: Regularly monitoring blood glucose levels, recording meals, physical activity, medications, and other relevant factors in a diabetes logbook or digital app can provide a comprehensive overview of one’s diabetes management. By analyzing this data, individuals can identify areas for improvement and make informed decisions about their treatment plans.
5. Setting Realistic Goals: It is crucial to set realistic glycemic goals that align with individual circumstances, lifestyle, and personal preferences. Collaborating with healthcare professionals can help establish attainable targets that consider factors such as age, overall health, diabetes duration, and individual risk profiles.
Embracing CGM data for glucose control has revolutionized my approach to diabetes management. By considering the broader picture, I can identify trends, make informed adjustments to my diabetes management routine, and achieve better overall glycemic control.
Remember, managing diabetes is a journey unique to each individual. Embracing CGM data empowers individuals to take charge of their diabetes management, make data-driven decisions, and ultimately live healthier and more fulfilling lives with diabetes.
- “Glucose Trends and Variability.” Abbott Freestyle. Retrieved from https://www.freestyle.abbott/in-en/getting-to-know-glucose-trends.html
- “Time in Range.” Abbott Freestyle. Retrieved from https://www.freestyle.abbott/in-en/time-in-range.html
Image source: unsplash
To know more about Continuous Glucose Monitoring, visit this website.
You can buy Freestyle libre here.
The information mentioned in this document is only suggestive/for patient education and shall not be considered as a substitute for doctor’s advice or recommendations from Abbott. Please consult your doctor for more information
Any photos displayed are for illustrative purposes only. Any person depicted in such photos is a model.