Imagine this scenario:
You are in a restaurant with your friends eating a yummy pizza and suddenly you hear a sound! The sound of gas passing out! Thud!
And guess what, the sound came from you!
What can be worse and more embarrassing than this, right?
Indeed, it is one of the most embarrassing situations to be in, especially when you are out or there are people around you!
Have you ever been in this embarrassing situation and can relate to it?
At some point in time, we all have been in this situation! Passing gas ten to twenty times in a day is completely normal, says the best gastroenterologist in Pune, Dr. Samrat Jankar. Passing gas is a natural way for the body to eliminate excess air that is trapped in the gut.
But what if you face this embarrassing situation frequently?
Do you often pass out gas and to avoid facing this embarrassing situation, do you avoid going out with your friends?
Avoiding going out is not the solution but avoiding certain foods that cause gas is the solution to the problem of bloating and gas, says Dr. Samrat Jankar.
You may have often noticed that normally one passes out gas after having a meal, especially a heavy meal, isn’t it?
So, what can we conclude from this?
We can conclude that there is a relationship between food and gas! Foods lead to gas! But please note, all foods do not lead to gas! Certain foods cause bloating and gas!
What if we avoided eating such foods?
Then we would be free from experiencing the embarrassing situation of passing out gas frequently!
Doesn’t it feel amazing reading the above line? What can be better than this, isn’t it?
So, it is now time to make this true by avoiding the foods that cause gas or at least limiting them!
But to avoid them, first, it is essential to know them!
Only when you are aware of which foods cause gas, will you take steps to avoid them!
So, being aware of the triggers of bloating and gas is the first step to getting rid of gas!
So, it is now time to take the first step!
Below, we have mentioned some of the foods that trigger gas and bloating.
So, what are the foods that trigger gas and bloating?
According to Dr. Samrat Jankar, an experienced gastroenterologist in Pune, the 9 foods that trigger gas and bloating are as follows-
- Paneer: Do you know one guest that is a part of every function? In whichever function you go, whether it is a wedding or a friend’s party, you always meet this guest! Yes, you guessed it right! It is paneer! Whether it is paneer in gravy, or it is a paneer starter, we love it in every form, isn’t it? And that’s why it is popular in all functions and tops the menu card! A non-vegetarian once said,” I can be a vegetarian all my life if I get to eat paneer.” Indeed, paneer is the favorite dish of all! But maybe it won’t be so favorite after reading the next line. Dr. Samrat Jankar, the renowned gastroenterologist says that paneer causes gas as it is high in lactose! Reading this is indeed disheartening! But don’t worry! You don’t need to sacrifice your favorite dish! Having paneer within limits can work and make you less prone to gas and bloating, says the reputed gastroenterologist in Pune.
- Fatty foods: After having a plate of hot, fried, and crispy samosas, have you passed out gas? Passing out gas after having fatty foods is quite common. Fatty foods cause difficulty in digestion, which in turn makes the gas trapped in the gut. Indeed, fried foods such as samosas and vada pavs are tempting, but they are also one of the main triggers of gas and bloating. They bring happiness but also embarrassment by causing gas. If by sacrificing small and temporary joys of having fried stuff, you can be saved from big and frequent embarrassing moments like passing out gas, then isn’t this option worth trying?
- Beans: Beans are famous for causing gas, says Dr. Samrat Jankar. The body finds it difficult to break down the high amount of raffinose( complex sugar) found in beans, thus increasing the likelihood of gas and bloating. Also, beans are a rich source of fiber, which in turn makes them a rich source of gas and bloating!
- Broccoli: Vegetables such as broccoli, cabbage, and cauliflower also contain a high amount of raffinose and fiber, which makes them one of the popular triggers of gas and bloating!
- Onions: Onions are not only a common ingredient in every dish but are also a common cause of gas and bloating! Yes, onions contain fructose that is broken down by the intestine during digestion. This breakdown of sugar in turn leads to gas. [READ: Oranges: 17 Amazing Health, Beauty, & Hair Benefits]
- Dairy products: Are you lactose intolerant and find it difficult to digest lactose? Then it is advisable to avoid dairy products like cheese, yogurt and milk, says Dr. Samrat Jankar. Consuming dairy products can lead to gas and bloating.
- Soda: Indeed, drinking a glass of sweet fresh lime soda is refreshing especially during summers! But it can also make your summer embarrassing by causing gas! Yes, sodas are popular for causing gas and bloating! When you drink soda, you consume a high amount of gas. Due to this, you often belch to relieve the gas pressure that builds up in your stomach. Sometimes, the air gets trapped and causes bloating in the gut.
- Chewing gum: Do you love chewing gum while working or while traveling? Gas and bloating love them more! That’s why maybe they are always present when eating chewing gums! Yes, when eating chewing gum, we swallow excess air, which then builds up in the stomach and gets trapped in the gut. Some chewing gums also contain sugar alcohols, which in turn lead to gas and bloating.
- Other foods: Other than the above foods, foods like wheat, garlic, and hard candy can also lead to gas and bloating. Thus, Dr. Samrat Jankar advises eating them within limits.
So congratulations, with this you have completed the first step in getting rid of gas and bloating! You are now aware of the foods that trigger gas and bloating!
So, what are you waiting for?
Now is the time to take the next step! And that is to avoid consuming such foods that lead to gas!
What are you thinking?
You are just a step away from being free from gas, bloating, and yes, from embarrassment!
You can now go out and enjoy yourself with your friends without worrying about gas and bloating!
You can now make the time spent with your friends an enjoyable one and not an embarrassing one!