What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root Canal Treatment is a dental procedure that involves removal of infected pulp from the carious tooth and the inside of the tooth is then cleaned and sealed. This is done to save the tooth and protect it from future microbial invasion.
When should Root canal treatment be done?
Root canal treatment becomes necessary when the tooth’s pulp becomes irritated, inflamed or injured in case of a deep cavity, cracked tooth, dislodged restoration, trauma or due to repeated dental procedures on a tooth. Without treatment, the infection can become severe enough such that the tooth might have to be extracted. [READ: Simple Ways To Enhance Your Natural Beauty]
What are the signs that root canal treatment is needed?
- Severe toothache upon chewing or application of pressure.
- Prolonged sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures.
- Discoloration of affected tooth.
- Associated swelling in the region close to affected tooth.
- Persistent or recurring pimple on gums.
- Affected tooth exhibits tenderness.
Step-by-Step Root Canal Procedure:
- The dentist starts by administering local anesthesia to numb the affected tooth. A momentary prick is felt when the needle goes in. After the tooth is numb, the dentist might isolate the affected tooth with rubber dam or cotton rolls to keep it clean and dry during the procedure.
- The dentist will then drill with help of dental handpiece to gain access to the inside of the tooth. Files will be used next to clear the pulp debris and shape the canal. A series of these files of increasing diameter are each subsequently placed into the access hole and worked down the full length of the tooth to scrape and scrub the sides of the root canals. Along with it, irrigation will be done to wash away any remaining pulp. An antimicrobial solution is also used to kill any remaining bacteria and reduce the risk for further infection.
- The canals are then filled and sealed with a rubber-like material called gutta percha. Your dentist will close the opening in your tooth with a temporary filling, while you wait for the permanent crown.
- After a week, the dentist will finish the treatment by placing a permanent crown or similar type of restoration. The need for post and core will be evaluated depending on the condition of natural tooth. [READ: The Ultimate Pre-Wedding Teeth-Whitening Tips]
After Root Canal Treatment:
One must take good care of their teeth and gums after root canal treatment. An X-ray may be needed post treatment to make sure all signs of infection are absent. Good oral hygiene habits should be maintained. With good care and attention, a diseased tooth treated with root canal treatment can last a lifetime!
Much Does a Root Canal Cost?
You should have a better idea of the cost of a root canal as well as the tips you need to save money on root canal therapy to get the treatment you need as soon as possible. Root Canal cost varies greatly. One of the main factors that affect the cost is the location of the tooth that needs to be treated and the severity of your infection. The root canal cost varies depending on where you are in the country and which tooth needs it.
Sabka Dentist works to inspire better oral health in addition to helps folks feel great, appearance good and be more confident. For that society, Sabka Dentist is much more than the chain of Dental treatment centers. It is a driver once and for all oral health and well-being.